Don't Just Dive Into Exercise If You Are Diabetic: Take It One Step at a Time


There are so many great ways to begin an exercise routine when you decide to buckle down and get healthier. A good way to begin if you have not exercised for a long while is to simply put your walking shoes on and... well... walk! Sounds too simple, right? That's exactly what I thought when someone told me to do that very thing. Because I felt such determination, I wanted to just turn my spare bedroom into a home gym! Then a friend of mine told me I didn't have to remodel my entire house to get a good workout. Huh, who knew?


Here's another piece of good news: You don't have to walk from one end of town to the other to benefit.

Begin to walk until you start to sweat. My daddy always told me that women don't sweat - we glow. It's a lie - we sweat. It's good to sweat! I saw a poster yesterday on Facebook that says, "Sweat is your fat crying!" I laughed so hard when I read that - then I commented - "My fat cries a lot!" Without getting too gross, I'll just mention that sweating is one way our bodies rid themselves of harmful toxins. Then when we rehydrate with water it helps our bodies work better.

If you have been used to walking and just want to increase your activity level a little bit, you may want to consider bike riding or swimming in addition to your walking routine. I've also read numerous articles about how lifting free weights can increase metabolism and of course build muscle mass.

So many times we go wild in our endeavor to get healthy and, alas, the gym membership never gets used, or the treadmill gets used for a towel rack. I know because I've experienced both of those scenarios too.

Really, the bottom line is: You have to have a made-up mind. Once that determination is there to put the shoes on and walk, or make the time to take that swim, or whatever - then you just have to go and do.

It doesn't have to cost a lot of money to get started. The cost of a good pair of walking shoes is all it takes. If at some point you think it's time to invest more money in your routine, that's fine. Chances are you'll be ready to step it up if you begin with walking.

You will be amazed at how quickly pounds will come off when you walk just a short distance every day. You can gradually increase the distance as you get used to walking. Use the same rule of thumb: Walk until you sweat. Do the talk test. If you can talk while you're walking then you're walking at a good pace. If you can't talk while you're walking, make sure you slow down or stop for a little while to catch your breath. Take it easy when you're first starting to walk. It'll get better once you get used to it.

Come over to my blog - and let's talk about the challenges of life with type 2 diabetes!
http://wellnesssoliloquy.blogspot.com/

Article Source: http://EzineArticles.com/?expert=Linda_Lou_Turner-Palmer

No comments:

Post a Comment